Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Below are answers to commonly asked questions around G5. Please refer to the G5 help for more detailed information around system functionality.

General Information

What is G5?

G5 is the Department of Education's new grants management system designed to achieve the following objectives:

  • Enhance and increase program performance monitoring
  • Improve communications with system users
  • Fast-track grant award processing
  • Link dollars to results
  • Promote technical and financial stewardship
  • What is the grant award (document) number?

    Under G5, grantees/payees will request ED funds by grant award number. The grant award number is a unique, eleven-character number that identifies each grant award issued by a specific office to a specific grantee. The grant award number can be found on the grant award notices issued to grantees by Department program offices. Grantees/payees should contact the program offices for award numbers. Below is an example of a grant award number:


    P ? Principal Office designator
    031 ? CFDA numeric suffix of the program
    B ? Alphabetic sub-program identifier
    92 ? Last two digits of the funding fiscal year
    1234 ? Unique identifier

    User ID and Password

    How do I obtain a User ID and Password to access G5?

    If you haven't registered for a G5 account, click on the "New User" link under the G5 login box and following the instructions to complete the online registration.

    What is my G5 user ID and Password?

    Your G5 user ID will be the email address you entered two times during registration process.

    What if I forgot to print the security access form?

    To obtain a copy of the security access form, please click here. This form needs to be completed with all original signatures and notary seal/stamp and mailed to the following address: U.S. Department of Education Office of the Chief Information Officer, Mail Stop - 7062 Attn: G5 Functional Application Team 400 Maryland Avenue S.W. Washington, DC 20202

    How do I make changes to my G5 profile such as email address, last name, adding additional payee DUNS numbers, etc.?

    If you need to change your email address, update your last name, update your DUNS number, reactivate your account or add additional payee DUNS numbers to your already exiting registration please click here to complete the request form to do so. Once the form is complete please mail the form to the following address:
    U.S. Department of Education
    Office of the Chief Information Officer, Mail Stop - 7062
    Attn: G5 Functional Application Team
    400 Maryland Avenue S.W.
    Washington, DC 20202

    How do I add additional DUNS numbers to my servicer pick list?

    If you need to add additional DUNS to your servicer picklist please click here to complete the request form. Once the form is complete you may fax it to 202-245-8219.

    Automated Emails

    Why am I not getting the automated emails from G5?

    Please be advised that some email programs automatically filter G5 emails directly to the SPAM folder. If you do not happen to see emails from G5 regarding your account or payment request information in your Inbox, please check your SPAM or Junk Mail folder.

    I registered for an account but I have not received the account activation email. I can not activate my account.

    Please call the G5 Hotline at 1-888-336-8930. Someone can assist with resending you the account activation email.

    On Demand Help

    Will written instructions on G5 be available?

    The Department of Education's On Demand Training can be found once you have logged into G5, by clicking on the Help Menu item. The guide provides detailed instructions on all G5 processes.

    What do I do if I am having issues with accessing the G5 Help?

    Try the following:

    1. Make certain you are using Internet Explorer 5.5 or better.
    2. Turn off Pop-up blockers, such as Google blocker, just while initially launching the G5 Help.


    Who should I contact for additional questions or concerns regarding financial procedures and the EDCAPS/G5 system?

    Contact the G5 Payee Hotline at 1-888-336-8930 (TTY Telephone: 1-866-697-2696). Grantees can also send questions and concerns via Email to:

    Upload Payment Request Option

    How do I use the upload payment request feature?

    The upload payment request feature can be used if making multiple payments against multiple awards associated with the same DUNS number. Information and instructions on how to use the upload feature can be located by going to Main Menu, Help Online Training, G5 Payments for External Users, Payment Request, and finally Create Payment Requests.


    Will my banking from GAPS/e-Payments be in G5?

    Yes, all banking from GAPS will be converted to G5.

    How do I set up or change bank account information in G5?

    The Department has instituted new procedures for payees to establish new bank accounts in G5, in addition to any changes to bank account information. The following information must be mailed to the Department:


  • Original SF1199A (65 KB, Adobe PDF format), Direct Deposit Form and/or Fedwire Sign-up forms containing signature of both the payee and bank officials
  • Copy of the Grant Award Document or Participation to Participate Agreement (PPA)
  • Cover letter written on payee's official letterhead requesting the new bank account or any changes to the bank account information. The cover letter must contain the payee DUNS number, email address (if available) for the person to receive automated notificati